Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rambo III - In Retrospect

One of the reasons for my obsession with 80's action films and movie magic in general, is the fact that I was exposed to the carnage that is Rambo III. Exposed at such a young age, something just seemed to click. Later on, when I got into my teenage years, when I thought I was cool (correction, I wasn't) I decided that it wasnt cool to like Rambo III, no reason really, the only one probably being that I dont know where he found all the guns he used (maybe in his ass).
Later on further, when I hit my sexual prime (?), I decided to re-watch the film for a laugh. Boy was I taken aback!
Now, before I go any further, I am going to list here the TOP FIVE reasons why this movie is brilliant.

5) This movie has heart. First Blood Part II was good and action packed, and tried to further John Rambo's sentimental side, but this movie shows a side to Rambo that is necessary to his character in league with the first movie. The basis of the film is him rescuing an old friend (Col. Trautman, a friend that rescued him in a way.

4) Col Trautman gets to finally kick some ass, and team up with Rambo, like the good ol' days!

3) The action is real, its tangible. A helicopter swoops down, and causes a dust swirl and shit explodes, all for real, and it all looks mint. The movie was made in a time where they couldn't rely on CGI, and had to literally build something for the sole purpose of exploding it later on. You cant fake a dust swirl and have it look nice.

2) Jerry Goldsmiths score, although only a fraction of what was recorded for this fim was used, the fraction of new material is brilliant, and you can hear the heart and soul that Goldsmith has put into every note..

1)Stallone! I mean come on? Look at the guy, he rides a horse, leans off grabs a dead sheep, rides some more, then the russians come, fuck everything up, and while he is fleeing (on horseback) a helicopter swoops down and starts shooting. You know what? no blue screen there folks, hes literally riding away from a helicopter, explosions going off all that shit. You know what? Thats not a stuntman riding that horse, its Sylvester Fucking Stallone. Dont get me wrong, stunting is a noble profession, almost as important as acting in some aspects, but when the actor is doubling up for all of the stunts in the film (all incredibly dangerous mind you), you have tohave a bit of respect for the guy.

So yeah, Rambo III is not by any means a better movie than First Blood, but as an action film, it stands well against other films of its ilk.

One common thing I hear about the film is Rambo's association with the Taliban. I don't want to get into specifics here, but instantly, due to the last 10 years of shit in regards to that situation, people shrug it off and have a little chuckle at the movies expense. PaaaaaLEASE! Do we laugh and poke jokes at 2001: A Space Odyssey because we arent technologically there yet? That film was based on a theme. Just as this movie isn't about who Rambo fights with or against, it about him, and his jouney, as completed in Rambo IV. And hell yeah, the people in Afghanistan were brave as fuck to withstand the shit that was happening between them and the russians.

Don't think to hard about Rambo III for christ sake and watch it for the fun action adventure that it is. Its a reminder of a time when movies were movies where you could watch them and have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment